Saturday 10 February 2018

REVIEW: Deception (#2) - Teri Terry*

Deception (#2) - Teri Terry*
Series: Dark Matter
Publisher: Orchard Books
Format: Paperback
Pages: 412 Pages
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Received from NetGalley for an honest review (managed to get my hands on a paperback version from my local bookstore before release)*

Goodreads Blurb

An epidemic is sweeping the country.
You are among the infected. There is no cure, and you cannot be permitted to infect others. You are now under quarantine.
The 5% of the infected who survive are dangerous and will be taken into the custody of the army.

As the epidemic spreads, survivors are being hunted like witches, for the authorities fear their strange new powers.

Kai is desperate to trace Shay, who tricked him and disappeared. Meanwhile, Shay is searching for the truth behind the origins of the epidemic ... but danger finds them wherever they go. Can they outrun the fire?

Thoughts

The story carries on from where Contagion left off, and we follow two different narratives this time. We also get to see the story from Kai's POV as well as Callie, and Shay's again.

I had high hopes for this as Contagion was such a surprise hit with me, that I hoped this did not follow as a filler novel (imagine my surprise when I find out that this is a trilogy, I thought it was a duology).

I loved this book so much that I managed to devour it in 3 days with a 10wk old to look after (I know even I am surprised).
I love Terry's writing style it is just so easy to follow, and even though there were two separate stories, and three different POV's you still managed to follow the story OK.

I loved Shay, she is still one of my favourite characters from this series, but we are also introduced to Spike, who I loved as well.

A character that I went from liking to wanting to slap was Freja, what she does at the end of the book made me so angry, she came off as such a selfish character.

This story is heart wrenching in places, and characters can really make your blood boil. There are also unexpected twists that had my jaw dropping.

Overall a great sequel, and Teri, please hurry up and bring out Evolution, I need to know what happens next.


No comments:

Post a Comment