Friday 2 February 2018

REVIEW: The Knife of Never Letting Go (#1) - Patrick Ness

The Knife of Never Letting Go (#1) - Patrick Ness
Series: Chaos Walking
Publisher: Walker Books
Format: Paperback
Pages: 479 Pages
Rating: ★★★★★

Goodreads Blurb

Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in an overwhelming, never-ending stream of Noise. Just a month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd and his dog, Manchee -- whose thoughts Todd can hear too, whether he wants to or not -- stumble upon an area of complete silence. They find that in a town where privacy is impossible, something terrible has been hidden -- a secret so awful that Todd and Manchee must run for their lives.

Thoughts

BEWARE MAY BE SPOILERS

I was weary with this book as I had really high expectations due to the amount of good things I had heard about this book so, I was surprised with how much I found myself enjoying this story, the book focuses on Todd Hewitt, a 12 year old boy that is a month off of his 13th birthday when he is made a man by Prentisstown standards.

I will admit I did find the book slow going at the start, and it did take me a while to realise that the settlers of New World were actually on another planet, and not Earth.

The writing style is one I haven't read before as the text is written from Todd's POV, and he has not been taught to read or write (due to the fact the mayor has banned this), so the text is written phonetically. This is easy to follow, but this may be a deal breaker for some readers.

I loved Todd, and Manchee. I loved Manchee more as it took me a while to like Todd due to his treatment of Manchee at the beginning of the book, but he starts to respect him more when he realises that Manchee will help him unconditionally.

I found myself hating Aaron as a character, no matter what happened to him he just kept on returning. I loved the twist when Todd realised who the sacrifice was that Aaron kept talking about, that was a real page turner.

Overall a fantastic start to the series, and I really can't wait to read the next in the series

No comments:

Post a Comment