Monday 28 August 2017

REVIEW: The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger (#1) - Stephen King

The Dark Tower: The Gunslinger (#1) - Stephen King
Series: The Dark Tower
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Format: Audiobook
Time: 7hrs 19mins
Narrator: George Guildhall
Rating: 2/5 (It Was OK) ★★


Goodreads Blurb

In the first book of this brilliant series, Stephen King introduces readers to one of his most enigmatic heroes, Roland of Gilead, The Last Gunslinger.

He is a haunting figure, a loner on a spellbinding journey into good and evil. In his desolate world, which frighteningly mirrors our own, Roland pursues The Man in Black, encounters an alluring woman named Alice, and begins a friendship with the Kid from Earth called Jake. Both grippingly realistic and eerily dreamlike, The Gunslinger leaves readers eagerly awaiting the next chapter.

Thoughts

I picked this up from Audible mainly due to the film coming out, and the trailer looked really good, so I thought I would listen to it as an audiobook as I have found Stephen King hard to read.

I found the story so hard to follow, and it really just couldn't grip me, I don't know if this was because of the narrator, who just seemed to speak so slowly and was kind of a bit boring. I also don't know if I would have fared better by reading a physical copy.

The characters just seemed to meld into one and none of the story just seemed that clear to me, by the time it was over I really couldn't remember much of what had happened in the story.

Overall not the greatest of books I thought, and would I read the sequel I'm not 100% sure, I do have this on audiobook but I think it would take me a while before I actually would sit down and choose this to listen to.




No comments:

Post a Comment