Monday 21 August 2017

REVIEW: Sabriel (#1) - Garth Nix

Sabriel (#1) - Garth Nix
Series: Abhorsen
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's
Format: Paperback
Pages: 367 Pages
Rating: 4/5 (really liked it) ★★★

Goodreads Blurb

Sabriel is the daughter of the Mage Abhorsen. Ever since she was a tiny child, she has lived outside the Wall of the Old Kingdom--far away from the uncontrolled power of Free Magic, and away from the Dead who won't stay dead.

But now, her father is missing and Sabriel is called upon to cross into the world to find him, Leaving the safety of the school she has known as home, Sabriel embarks upon a quest fraught with supernatural dangers, with companions she is unsure of--for nothing is as it seems within the boundary of the Old Kingdom. There, she confronts an evil that threatens much more than her life, and comes face to face with her hidden destiny.




Thoughts:


I'm not the biggest fan of fantasy, I will admit it, especially with first books as the world building, and new magic system can become confusing to learn and remember while reading the book.
With this I did find it somewhat simple to follow even with the magic system to learn, and finding out about who the Abhorsen was and what they did.

I thought Sabriel's growth through the book was handled well, she was placed in a position she didn't really expect for a while and I wouldn't say humble about it but she knew she wasn't ready for such a big thing at this point in time.

The characters I thought were really thought out and I loved the introduction of both Mogget and Touchstone, I predicted that there was something going on with Touchstone and that he may be related to the story more than you'd think.

Out of all the characters introduced it was hard to pick a favourite, I really loved the trio of Sabriel, Mogget, and Touchstone, they just all brought something different to the story. I found the little side love story to be very subtly introduced at the end and they didn't make too much out of it, which I found refreshing.

Will I read the next in the series, and yes I will, the ending of this story was quite case closed so to speak, so I want to know how Nix has expanded the world when this was all tied together quite nicely.


No comments:

Post a Comment