Friday 19 October 2018

REVIEW: The Game of Love and Death - Martha Brockenbrough

Title: The Game of Love and Death
Author: Martha Brockenbrough
Publisher: Scholastic
Format: Paperback
Pages: 329 Pages
Rating: ⭐⭐

Goodreads Blurb

Love is more than a game. 

Love and Death choose their players in an eternal game. Death has never lost and Love will do anything to win. 

Henry and Flora find each other, not knowing they are the players. Can their love be enough to keep them both alive?


Thoughts

The book follows Love and Death in their endless game against each other, and their players Henry and Flora, both living in America in the 1920's where a relationship between two people of different skin colour is not acceptable.

When I picked this book up I was really hoping to love this book, as the blurb was just fantastic, and I went into this not knowing much about the story so the story was a big surprise to me. I really wanted to love it, but it just didn't pull me in as much as I hoped, my expectations of this were too high I think, and this may have hindered my enjoyment of the story.

I did love Henry, he was an eternal optimist, and a precursor to love is love, no matter what gender or race you are, which was why I gave the book 2 stars rather than the 1.

Overall, this is an OK book, but it just didn't pull me in as much as I was hoping it would.


No comments:

Post a Comment