Monday 29 October 2018

REVIEW: Jackaby (#1) - William Ritter

Title: Jackaby (#1)
Author: William Ritter
Series: Jackaby
Publisher: Algonquin Young Readers
Format: Paperback
Pages: 299 Pages
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Goodreads Blurb

Newly arrived in New Fiddleham, New England, 1892, and in need of a job, Abigail Rook meets R. F. Jackaby, an investigator of the unexplained with a keen eye for the extraordinary--including the ability to see supernatural beings. Abigail has a gift for noticing ordinary but important details, which makes her perfect for the position of Jackaby’s assistant. On her first day, Abigail finds herself in the midst of a thrilling case: A serial killer is on the loose. The police are convinced it’s an ordinary villain, but Jackaby is certain it’s a nonhuman creature, whose existence the police--with the exception of a handsome young detective named Charlie Cane--deny.


Thoughts

Sherlock meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer, just that had me wanting to read this book.

The story follows Abigail Rook, a young English woman who has just arrived in New Fiddleham, on the search for adventure, when while looking for a position she ends up working for R. F. Jackaby who is on the hunt for a serial killer with a supernatural edge.

I really enjoyed this book and found myself just flying through it, through the whole book we follow the POV of Abigail, and how she deals with the whirlwind that is Jackaby. I found that the book flowed so well, and I just managed to follow it so easily. I also found some really laugh out loud moments in this book (especially the end section, you'll know what I mean)

I love Jackaby, and Abigail as characters, they worked so well together and were just written brilliantly. I reduced my rating by 1 star as they really are just Holmes and Watson, but with a supernatural twist.

Overall a really good book, and I will carry on with this series.


No comments:

Post a Comment