Wednesday 16 October 2019

REVIEW: Court of Shadows (#2) - Madeleine Roux

Title: Court of Shadows (#2)
Author: Madeleine Roux
Series: House of Furies
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Hardback
Pages: 416 Pages
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐

Goodreads Blurb

After the frightful events of last autumn, seventeen-year-old Louisa Ditton has settled into her role as a maid at Coldthistle House, but she has not settled into what that means for her humanity.

As Louisa struggles to figure out whether she is worthy of redemption, the devilish Mr Morningside plans a fete— one that will bring new guests to Coldthistle House. From wicked humans to Upworlders, angelic beings who look down upon Mr Morningside’s monstrous staff, all are armed with their own brand of self-righteous justice.

Even a man claiming to be Louisa’s father has a role to play, though what his true motive is, Louisa cannot tell. The conflicts will eventually come to a head on the grounds of Coldthistle House—and the stakes include Louisa’s very soul.


Thoughts

I absolutely loved the first book, so I finally managed to pick up the sequel and read it during the NEWTs magical readathon.

I had high hopes for this book as I loved the characters and the story and needed to know what happened to Lee and Louisa after the ending of House of Furies.

I found myself a tiny bit disappointed just with the story of Lee and Louisa, she supposedly left Coldthistle Manor after trying to save Mary and change Lee's fate, but nothing of this journey was really mentioned. I expected the first part of this book to be the actual journey that she took but she was right back at the manor. The only mentions of this trip were that she had failed and had come back to Coldthistle Manor to grovel for her job back.

I did like the premise where they were having a meeting regarding Mr Morningside's dealings with the guilty. There was also a side story of Louisa receiving a letter from a man who claims to be Louisa's father. There was also mention from Mr Morningside of having Louisa translate an old journal regarding a man's journey

I did like Louisa as a character, I thought she dealt with everything thrown at her during this book quite well and you do also see a bit of character development from her.

I did find that all the storylines within the book did all tie together by the end, and I found myself just breezing through the ending as I was gripped.

Overall, this is an OK book, but it did seem filler, and I was left wanting the story of Louisa's travels, and the pace to have been a bit faster in the book. I found that it did follow the second book curse that it seemed to be a filler book before the last book.


No comments:

Post a Comment