Tuesday 19 May 2020

REVIEW: Legendary (#2) - Stephanie Garber

Title: Legendary (#2)
Author: Stephanie Garber
Series: Caraval
Publisher: Hodder & Stoughton
Format: Hardback
Pages: 432 Pages
Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Goodreads Blurb

A heart to protect. A debt to repay. A game to win.

After being swept up in the magical world of Caraval, Donatella Dragna has finally escaped her father and saved her sister Scarlett from a disastrous arranged marriage. The girls should be celebrating, but Tella isn’t yet free. She made a desperate bargain with a mysterious criminal, and what Tella owes him no one has ever been able to deliver: Caraval Master Legend’s true name.

The only chance of uncovering Legend’s identity is to win Caraval, so Tella throws herself into the legendary competition once more—and into the path of the murderous heir to the throne, a doomed love story, and a web of secrets…including her sister's. Caraval has always demanded bravery, cunning, and sacrifice. But now the game is asking for more. If Tella can’t fulfil her bargain and deliver Legend’s name, she’ll lose everything she cares about—maybe even her life. But if she wins, Legend and Caraval will be destroyed forever.

Welcome, welcome to Caraval...the games have only just begun.

Thoughts

*BEWARE SPOILERS AHEAD*

I will admit I was not the biggest fan of Caraval, it seemed slow going to me, but I liked it enough that I wanted to read the sequel.
Legendary follows Tella, who made a bargain to free her and her sister from her father's clutches and now her side has to be honoured with Legend's true name. To do this Tella has to win Caraval.

I found myself worrying as to where this book was going to go, I wasn't a fan of Tella in the first book as I found her to be quite selfish, but in this book she does grow more as a person, we get to see more of her and find out why she put Scarlet through everything.

I found myself absolutely hooked by this book, and just could not put it down, I found that Tella as a character started to grow on me, and she lost a lot of that selfish nature that was relevant in book one. It seemed to me that through this book she actually grew as a character.

I loved the introduction of Jacks as a character and found him to be such a great antagonist for Tella to go up against. I also loved his back story and found it so intriguing to read about. My one little gripe was that I did want a bit more of Jacks.
I also found myself loving Dante, and loving his story arc through this book. I liked that we got to see more of this character who we only had the merest of glimpses of in book one.

Overall a great book that has kept me hooked on the series and has left me wanting to find out what happens next.


No comments:

Post a Comment