Wednesday 13 May 2020

REVIEW: Wilder Girls - Rory Power*

Title: Wilder Girls
Author: Rory Power
Publisher: Macmillan Children's Books
Format: Paperback
Pages: 353 Pages
Rating: ⭐⭐

*RECEIVED FROM NETGALLEY FOR AN HONEST REVIEW, PAPERBACK COPY BOUGHT BY MYSELF WITH MY OWN MONEY*

Goodreads Blurb

It's been eighteen months since the Raxter School for Girls was put under quarantine. Since the Tox hit and pulled Hetty's life out from under her.

It started slow. First, the teachers died one by one. Then it began to infect the students, turning their bodies strange and foreign. Now, cut off from the rest of the world and left to fend for themselves on their island home, the girls don't dare wander outside the school's fence, where the Tox has made the woods wild and dangerous. They wait for the cure they were promised as the Tox seeps into everything.

But when Byatt goes missing, Hetty will do anything to find her, even if it means breaking quarantine and braving the horrors that lie beyond the fence. And when she does, Hetty learns that there's more to their story, to their life at Raxter, than she could have ever thought true.


Thoughts

I received this book a while ago from NetGalley, and I ended up actually buying this on paperback. Please note that I read this book before lockdown started, and there is a trigger warning regarding quarantine and infection.

I thought the premise of this book sounded so fascinating, about a school on an island that was on lockdown due to something called Tox infecting the student body.

I really wanted to enjoy this, and don't get me wrong I did like the book, but I just was expecting a lot more than it actually gave me.

I found myself liking Hetty, and found the relationships between the girls (Reese, Byatt, and Hetty), to be so complex and they all had issues and were trying to get through quarantine.

What I didn't like about the book is that nothing is fully explained by the end of the book, I wanted more explanation regarding the Tox, and why the Government were acting so shady, and it just was not forthcoming.

Overall, it was an OK book, but I just wanted more than this book was willing to give me.



No comments:

Post a Comment