Wednesday 13 September 2017

REVIEW: Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte

Jane Eyre - Charlotte Bronte
Publisher: Audible Studios
Format: Audiobook
Narrator: Thandie Newton
Time: 19hrs 10mins
Rating: ★★


Goodreads Blurb

Orphaned into the household of her Aunt Reed at Gateshead and subject to the cruel regime at Lowood charity school, Jane Eyre nonetheless emerges unbroken in spirit and integrity. She takes up the post of governess at Thornfield, falls in love with Mr. Rochester, and discovers the impediment to their lawful marriage in a story that transcends melodrama to portray a woman's passionate search for a wider and richer life than Victorian society traditionally allowed.



Thoughts

I know this is a classic piece of literature, but I really could not get into this, I even downloaded the audiobook with Thandie Newton as the narrator just to see if that would help, and I'm sorry it just hasn't.

I did like Jane as a character, even as a young girl under the care of her Aunt Reed, and having to deal with her brutish cousin. She doesn't let this keep her down, she still fights back against them.

If I hadn't known the basic plot of this story, I would have found the twist regarding Mr Rochester's marital status a complete surprise, and would have found the story regarding this shocking.

I have to admit even though I could not get into this book, I found Thandie Newton to be a fantastic narrator. The amount of times I had to look at the information to check that it was just her narrating, as her range of voices for the characters was fantastic and I honestly thought there was more voice actors involved.

Overall this book was OK, but wasn't one of my favourites and not one that I would read or listen to again.


No comments:

Post a Comment