Thursday 5 April 2018

REVIEW: Savage Island - Bryony Pearce*

Savage Island - Bryony Pearce
Series: Red Eye Series
Publisher: Stripes Publishing
Format: E-Book
Pages: 352 Pages
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

*Received from NetGalley for an honest review*

Goodreads Blurb

When reclusive millionaire Marcus Gold announces that he's going to be staging an “Iron Teen” competition on his private island in the Outer Hebrides, teenagers Ben, Lizzie, Will, Grady and Carmen sign up - the prize is one million pounds … each. But when the competition begins, the group begin to regret their decision. Other teams are hunting their competitors and attacking them for body parts. Can the friends stick together under such extreme pressure to survive? When lives are at stake, you find out who you can really trust...


Thoughts

I love the Red Eye series so when I saw that this was available on NetGalley, I jumped at the chance.

The story focuses on 5 teenagers who sign on to compete in an outdoor challenge to win £1 million pounds each.. The story mainly focuses on Ben and Will, 2 brothers. Ben is the one that looks out for Will due to his mother's insistence.

The beginning of the book is slow as you are bringing in all 5 characters and explaining their backstory, and their journey onto the island over a pass, but once you start getting into the story and they start finding their checkpoints it does become thrilling.

I loved Ben as a character, you do feel for him as he is being forced to move to Oxford to keep an eye on his brother (who it seems through little backstories is a bit of a sociopath). All his dreams are put onto the back burner as he has to go to work and keep an eye on Will.

I found the book flowed well (even though the beginning was slow), once the pace picked up I was on the edge of my seat.
The books was really unpredictable, at the climax, I thought it was going to go one way, but then it just went completely 180 and I never expected that coming.
I found the ending to be a bit ugh, I wanted to throw my Kindle, as I really wanted it to go another way then it did (believe me you will agree when you read this), but it still did end the book and wrapped everything up really well.

Overall a really good edition to the Red Eye series, and I will be picking this up when it comes out in paperback.


No comments:

Post a Comment