Wednesday 9 May 2018

REVIEW: The Bad Beginning (#1) - Lemony Snicket

The Bad Beginning (#1) - Lemony Snicket
Series: A Series of Unfortunate Events
Publisher: Egmont Books
Format: Hardback
Pages: 162 Pages
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

Goodreads Blurb

Dear Reader, I'm sorry to say that the book you are holding in your hands is extremely unpleasant. It tells an unhappy tale about three very unlucky children. Even though they are charming and clever, the Baudelaire siblings lead lives filled with misery and woe.


Thoughts

I have been wanting to read this series for the longest time (ever since the Jim Carrey film came out). I originally read The Miserable Mill and enjoyed it but never got any further.
So when my other half found the WHOLE series in a charity shop for 99p each. I told him to go and buy them.

I ended up reading this in 2 days as it is quite a small book, of course, this is aimed at younger readers so the text is quite big and this just made it easier for me to read through.

I found myself laughing out loud through this book, and I will admit I was hearing Patrick Warburton's voice in my head during the narration.

I love the children, I found them to be such great characters and they seemed to be the only ones that knew what was happening.
Count Olaf was just a great villain funny in places, and for a children's book he also came over as quite a dark character.

Overall, a great book that I will try to get my 9-year-old stepson to read, while I carry on with the rest of the series



No comments:

Post a Comment