Friday 11 May 2018

REVIEW: Darkthaw (#2) - Kate A. Boorman

Darkthaw (#2) - Kate A. Boorman
Series: Winterkill
Publisher: Faber & Faber
Format: Paperback
Pages: 345 Pages
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐

Goodreads Blurb

Council has fallen. The Thaw is here. The world outside Emmeline’s fortification awaits. Urged on by her dreams, Emmeline sets out with her new friend Matisa and her beloved Kane, venturing into the exhilarating wilderness, into freedom, into the unknown.

Into Danger.

The secret that has secured peace for Matisa’s people for generations has been compromised. Newcomers are arriving, laying claim to the land and bringing unimagined horrors. Emmeline vows to help Matisa warn her people, but with new perils at every turn and the enemy closing in, she finds herself faced with an impossible choice: Forsake the friend who saved her life or abandon the boy she loves.

Thoughts

The book focuses on what happens after the events of the first book (Winterkill) and follows Emmeline and Matisa as they travel to see Matisa's people.

I enjoyed this book a lot more then I did the first one, I found that I actually took the information in rather than just flying through the book and not remembering much of what was going on previously. I found that there were so many twists and turns in this book, that it just kept me hooked.

I loved that we got to see more of the country per se that Matisa and Emmy live in and we weren't just confined to the settlement as with the previous book.

I found myself loving Isi as a character, he has been led on this journey by Matisa, and even though he really doesn't want to be helping the settlers that left with them, he does.
I really felt for Kane during this book as he is being pulled in two different directions by his mother, and by Emmy and he is trying to do what is best for his family.

Overall I enjoyed this book a lot more than Winterkill. and will be carrying on with the series.


No comments:

Post a Comment