Wednesday 16 May 2018

REVIEW: Cursed by Night (#1) - Jasmine Walt & Emma Stark

Title: Cursed by Night (#1)
Author: Jasmine Walt & Emma Stark
Series: Her Dark Protectors
Publisher: Dynamo Press
Format: Kindle
Pages: 326 Pages
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐

Goodreads Blurb

My name is Ace Bissett, and I’m a paranormal detective that doesn’t believe in magic.

Or at least, I didn’t before I met them.

The day I inherited my aunt’s old house, everything changed. One moment, I was convinced that magic was a hoax. The next, I’m surrounded by four winged, fanged, ridiculously hot guys who are definitely not human, and who insist that I'm the only one who can break the curse that binds them to the night.

I know I should run far, far away from this hot mess, but there's a connection between us I can't deny. I'm seeing things I can't explain, feeling things that don't make sense. The detective in me has never been able to resist a mystery, and this one is just begging me to dig in.

But all that will have to wait because there’s a new threat stalking my city. One with a taste for blood and bone, unable to be killed or captured by normal human means.

It’s a good thing I’ve got four new roommates to help me hunt them down. But even if I didn’t, I’d figure out a way. Because I never give up. I never give in. And I always protect what’s mine.

Thoughts

I picked this up when I was in a mood for something quick and easy, and saw this on Amazon.

The story follows Ace, who works as a detective, and is given the paranormal jobs (where she debunks any ideas that magic exists), she then inherits her Aunt's house. Thanks to the inheritance her view on the world start to dramatically change.

I enjoyed this story, and it did exactly what I wanted it was a quick and easy read (nothing that is going to make my brain cells work too hard). The writing style was easy to follow, and the story flowed really well.
I enjoyed that the main characters weren't vampires, but actually gargoyles, which was completely different to what I have previously read.

I found myself liking Ace as a character, she came across as a strong female character (and in her job you would need to be).

Overall this was a good book, especially if you are looking for a quick read, and don't want anything too strenuous.


No comments:

Post a Comment