Wednesday 13 June 2018

REVIEW: Spellslinger (#1) - Sebastien de Castell

Title: Spellslinger (#1)
Author: Sebastien de Castell
Series: Spellslinger
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Format: Paperback
Pages: 396 Pages
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Goodreads Blurb
Magic is a con game. 

Kellen is moments away from facing his first mage's duel and the start of four trials that will make him a spellcaster. There's just one problem: his magic is gone. As his sixteenth birthday approaches, Kellen falls back on his cunning in a bid to avoid total disgrace. But when a daring stranger arrives in town, she challenges Kellen to take a different path. Ferius Parfax is one of the mysterious Argosi - a traveller who lives by her wits and the three decks of cards she carries. She's difficult and unpredictable, but she may be Kellen's only hope...


Thoughts

I picked this up thanks to JadeyRaeReads, she posted a video about cover buys and this one just spoke to me, and yes it is a gorgeous cover (if they cover change any of the future books in the series I will so be p***ed.

I was really surprised by how much I enjoyed this book, whenever I start a fantasy book I always dread learning the new system as some systems can be so complex you need a PhD to actually understand the world and its magic system. The world building in this book was paced perfectly and was so easy to follow I just ended up breezing through it so fast.

The characters are written so beautifully and are so well rounded, I really loved Kellen, and thought he was such a great character, and in a society that values magic where he doesn't have any, he manages really well.
Ferius was another fantastic character, such a badass female that really stirs things up when she arrives and saves Kellen's life. I really did not see the twist regarding Ferius coming even though there were hints through the story you really don't see them until the end.
I also have to mention Reichis, the best character ever, squirrel cats are now my new favourite animal, he is just brilliant, and I want him to be my business partner.

I wasn't a big fan of Shalla, she has moments where she is such a little arrogant brat and really did have the air that she was better than everyone else.

I really did not see the ending coming, and I did feel for them (there are 2 separate conspiracies going on within the book), and I did feel that they did need to fight but it could be done in a different way. Violence is not always the answer for you to be heard.

I loved this book, and really can't wait to read Shadowblack.


No comments:

Post a Comment