Wednesday 6 March 2019

REVIEW: Ruby Red (#1) - Kerstin Gier

Title: Ruby Red (#1)
Author: Kerstin Gier
Series: Precious Stone Trilogy
Publisher: Square Fish
Format: Paperback
Pages: 322 Pages
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Goodreads Blurb

Sixteen-year-old Gwen lives with her extended - and rather eccentric - family in an exclusive London neighbourhood. In spite of her ancestors' peculiar history, she's had a relatively normal life so far. The time-travelling gene that runs like a secret thread through the female half of the family is supposed to have skipped over Gwen, so she hasn't been introduced to "the mysteries," and can spend her time hanging out with her best friend, Lesly. It comes as an unwelcome surprise when she starts taking sudden, uncontrolled leaps into the past.

She's totally unprepared for time travel, not to mention all that comes with it: fancy clothes, archaic manners, a mysterious secret society, and Gideon, her time-travelling counterpart. He's obnoxious, a know-it-all, and possibly the best-looking guy she's seen in any century . . . .
 


Thoughts

I started reading this as part of the 24in48 readathon (I have had this book for so long, I thought it was time I started reading it, and what better way than with a readathon).

I was surprised by how much I loved this book, and how quickly I read through it (I managed to finish it in a day), I found the writing just flowed so well and with the book focusing on the present and the past, I found that this was well noted (you knew what time period the characters were in).

I thought Gwen was a great character, she was thrown into the deep end and seemed to handle it quite well. I wasn't a big fan of Gideon, I found him to be a bit stuck up and not really wanting to help Gwen.

I did find some of the story a bit predictable (I guessed a plot point as these characters were mentioned quite a lot during the book).

I really did enjoy this book, and I really need to start reading Sapphire Blue next month.


No comments:

Post a Comment