Tuesday 10 March 2020

REVIEW: The Initiation (#1) - Chris Babu*

Title: The Initiation (#1)
Author: Chris Babu
Series: The Initiation
Publisher: Permuted Press
Format: E-Book
Pages: 320 Pages
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐

*RECEIVED FROM NETGALLEY FOR AN HONEST REVIEW*

Goodreads Blurb

In a ruined world, Manhattan is now New America, a walled-in society based on equality. But the perfect facade hides a dark truth.

A timid math geek, sixteen-year-old Drayden watches his life crumble when his beloved mother is exiled. The mystery of her banishment leads him to a sinister secret: New America is in trouble, and every one of its citizens is in jeopardy.

With time running out, he enters the Initiation. It’s a test within the empty subway tunnels—a perilous journey of puzzles and deadly physical trials. Winners join the ruling Bureau and move to its safe haven. But failure means death. Can Drayden conquer the Initiation, or is salvation out of his grasp?


Thoughts

My NetGalley TBR is getting completely out of hand, so I thought it was time to start cracking at it and making a dent in it.

So starting with The Initiation by Chris Babu, which is a dystopian novel set in New York which has now been split into zones.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the book, at the start you a thrown right into the deep end, and the pace keeps strong all the way through. I found myself loving the writing style, every trial that the team takes part in is well described without being so wordy.

I really liked Drayden as a character, his main focus on signing up to The Initiation was to find out what had happened to his mother, and the only way to find out why was to be able to go to The Palace.
I found myself liking the cast of characters that are thrown together for The Initiation.

I found this story was not predictable, I found myself gasping in places, and the group dynamics was just brilliant. I found there was also quite a bit of characters growth during the book between all the characters.

Overall, this was a great dystopian book, and I can't wait to read the next in the series.


No comments:

Post a Comment