Friday 27 March 2020

O.W.L.s Magical Readathon

It's that time of year again when we all go back to complete our O.W.L.s




The O.W.L.s take place through the whole month of April and the 12 prompts follow the 12 subjects that are taught at Hogwarts.

G over at Book Roast has done an amazing job and has updated the careers booklet with some new careers and some optional extras.

I have decided to become a Healer this year, with the optional extra of becoming an Animagus (I am aiming for a Trash Panda, Raccoon to none Marvel lovers)


To be a Healer I need to pass:

  • Herbology
  • Charms
  • Defence Against the Dark Arts
  • Potions
  • Transfiguration
  • and 3 more OWL prompts

To be an Animagus I need to pass:
  • Arithmancy
  • Potions
  • Transfiguration


So on with the prompts and the books

Ancient Runes - Read a book with a Heart on the cover or in the title

This was a hard prompt to fill, I thought as I was trying to add books that have been on my bookshelf for a while, and it was just a passing thought while going through a cover list of all my unread books that I realised this has a heart on the cover.







Astronomy - Read most of the book when it is dark

I have been wanting to read this bind-up for a while before I start The Dark Artifices trilogy.
As this is a bind-up of novellas I am aiming to read a novella a night.








Arithmancy - Read something outside your comfort zone

I have read historical fiction before, but it is quite rare that I actually do read a lot of it.
I have picked Wolf Hall for this prompt, I have had this on my bookcase for ages and with the finale of the trilogy coming out I thought it might be an idea to start reading.






Care of Magical Creatures - Creature with a beak on the cover

For this prompt, I have picked The Black Flamingo by Dean Atta, it contains a beak on the cover in the form of a Flamingo, and this just sounded like such a good book.








Charms - Book with a white cover

For this prompt I have chosen The Ask and the Answer by Patrick Ness, this is the sequel to The Knife of Never Letting Go, which I read a while a go and absolutely enjoyed. I did mean to start reading this but I just never got around to it and it has been on my bookshelf for ages.







Defence Against the Dark Arts - Book set at sea or the beach

For this prompt I have chosen Fateful by Claudia Gray, this is based on the Titanic (set at sea), and again I have had this on my bookshelf for ages and thought it was high time I started reading it.








Divination - Assign numbers to your TBR and use a random number generator

I joined in with the Around the Year in 52 books challenge, so I used the numbers 1 to 52 and used a random number generator which chose book number 40. This was The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern.








Herbology - Title starts with an M

For a title that starts with M, I have chosen Music and Malice in Hurricane Town by Alex Bell.
I received this book from Netgalley, and again just never got round to it, I also bought a paper copy of the book.







History of Magic - Book featuring Witches/ Wizards

For this prompt is again another book that has been on my bookshelf for ages and that is The Graces by Laure Eve.









Muggle Studies - Read a contemporary

For this prompt I have chosen Red, White, and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston.
I have heard so much about this book, and people have just been raving about it on Booktube, and Bookstagram. I picked it up on E-Book and thought this would be a great book to read for Muggle Studies.






Potions - Read a book under 150 Pages

This was another tough prompt to fill, but luckily The Furthest Station by Ben Aaronovitch was the next book in the Peter Grant series to read which is a novella at 144 pages.








Transfiguration - Read a book that includes shape-shifting

This wasn't too bad a prompt to fill as I have started re-reading the Darren Shan series (I had previously read up to book 5 and never went any further), so I chose Tunnels of Blood by Darren Shan, this features a Werewolf.








I have a wide range of different books to read, and I think with some prompts I have shot myself in the foot. There are 3-4 books there that are over 500 pages, so I think that I need to make sure I focus on the prompts I need rather than reading ALL the books that I have chosen.


Good luck to everyone that is taking their OWL's this year.



No comments:

Post a Comment