Wednesday 6 December 2017

REVIEW: American Gods - Neil Gaiman

American Gods - Neil Gaiman
Series: American Gods
Publisher: Headline Publishing Group
Format: Paperback
Pages: 736 Pages
Rating: ★★★

Goodreads Blurb

Days before his release from prison, Shadow’s wife, Laura, dies in a mysterious car crash. Numbly, he makes his way back home. On the plane, he encounters the enigmatic Mr Wednesday, who claims to be a refugee from a distant war, a former god and the king of America.

Together they embark on a profoundly strange journey across the heart of the USA, whilst all around them a storm of preternatural and epic proportions threatens to break.

Thoughts

I did like this book, but I found it quite long, and slow going in some places. I loved the premise of the book and all the mythology that was brought into the story and how well Gaiman merged all of it into this book.

The twist at the end was really good, I never saw that coming even though there were clues all through the book.

I thought Shadow was a great character, and you really feel for him when he finds out the circumstances of his wife's death.
I also loved Mad Sweeney, again I ended up feeling sorry for how his story ends, as I think there was just more that could have been done with this character.

Even though the book was long, and slow going in places once you push through the slow sections the book is really good.

Overall a good book and if you can deal with the length and push through the slow parts, this is work it.


No comments:

Post a Comment