Sunday 24 December 2017

REVIEW: Queen of Hearts (#1) - Colleen Oakes

Queen of Hearts (#1) - Colleen Oakes
Series: Queen of Hearts Saga
Publisher: Harper Collins Children's Books
Format: Paperback
Pages: 306 Pages
Rating: ★★★

Goodreads Blurb

Dinah is the princess who will one day reign over Wonderland. She has not yet seen the dark depths of her kingdom; she longs only for her father’s approval and a future with the boy she loves. But when a betrayal breaks her heart and threatens her throne, she is launched into Wonderland’s dangerous political game. Dinah must stay one step ahead of her cunning enemies or she’ll lose not just the crown but her head.

Evil is brewing in Wonderland and maybe, most frighteningly, in Dinah herself.

This is not a story of happily ever after.

This is the story of the Queen of Hearts.


Thoughts

Alice in Wonderland is one of my favourite stories, so I am always up for a retelling, so I picked this one with high hopes.

I found the shape of the story to be very different from a lot of other retellings out there which I did enjoy, I also enjoyed the mystery aspect that was interwoven through the story.

I loved Dinah as a character, and I did find her to be trod upon quite a lot, especially by her father, and when he brings in Vittoire, you really do feel for her, but you can also see that something else is going on behind the scenes. Dinah is to blinded by anger to see this so we do have more perspective then she does.

I really despised the King of Hearts by the end of the story due to the ending and you are really rooting for Dianh.

I found the unrequited love aspect of the story between Dinah and Wardley to be a bit predictable, I will admit I did expect them to be together so that was a great twist as it wasn't too predictable by the end.

Overall a good book, and I will be reading the sequel of this to see how Dinah gets on with the aftermath of this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment