Friday 1 December 2017

REVIEW: Stalking Jack the Ripper (#1) - Kerri Maniscalco

Stalking Jack the Ripper (#1) - Kerri Maniscalco
Series: Stalking Jack the Ripper
Publisher: Hachette Audio
Format: Audiobook
Time: 9Hrs 26Mins
Narrator: Nicola Barber
Rating: ★★★★

Goodreads Blurb

Seventeen-year-old Audrey Rose Wadsworth was born a lord's daughter, with a life of wealth and privilege stretched out before her. But between the social teas and silk dress fittings, she leads a forbidden secret life.

Against her stern father's wishes and society's expectations, Audrey often slips away to her uncle's laboratory to study the gruesome practice of forensic medicine. When her work on a string of savagely killed corpses drags Audrey into the investigation of a serial murderer, her search for answers brings her close to her own sheltered world.

Thoughts

When you hear a book so hyped up, I kind of buy it then it is left on the shelf for ages once the hype has died down (yes I buy into the hype but then never read the book for ages).

I really was surprised by how much I enjoyed this book, and how much I enjoyed Maniscalco's take on the Jack the Ripper tale, and how she fitted it into her story.

I loved how Audrey Rose was such a strong female character especially with the Victorian time period that the story is set in. I also enjoyed that she was training in a profession that would be frowned upon.

I at first thought this was going to be predictable as I honestly thought I had who the culprit was, but the twist at the end was just ingenious. It was a great example of misdirection as I really would not have guessed it was who it was.

I loved the emerging relationship between Audrey and Thomas, Thomas always seems to rub Audrey the wrong way, but they make a great investigation team, and their relationship was slowly emerging it wasn't any of this Insta-Love that seems to be a big trope at the moment.

Overall I loved this story, and I really can't wait to start reading the next one in the series.


No comments:

Post a Comment