Monday 5 March 2018

REVIEW: Winterkill (#1) - Kate A. Boorman

Winterkill (#1) - Kate A. Boorman
Series: Winterkill
Publisher: Faber & Faber
Format: Paperback
Pages: 304 Pages
Rating: ⭐⭐

Goodreads Blurb


Where Emmeline lives, you cannot love and you cannot leave...

The Council's rules are strict, but they're for the good of the settlement in which Emmeline lives. Everyone knows there is nothing but danger the other side of the Wall, and the community must prepare for the freezing winterkill that comes every year.

But Emmeline struggles to be obedient under the Council's suffocating embrace - especially when she discovers that a Council leader intends to snatch her hand in marriage.

Then Emmeline begins to hear the call of the trees beyond the Wall...

Thoughts


I will admit this was a total cover buy, I mean it is gorgeous. The blurb made this sound quite appealing as well as it was totally different to any others that I have read before.

The book focuses on Emmeline who lives in a commune of a sort (think The Village), and wants to escape and see what is out there beyond the walls. She also finds out that she is to be married to a council member.

The story started well, but through reading it, I didn't feel that I actually took much of the story in, it didn't really make an impression to me.

I thought Emmeline was a good character, she wanted to know more about what was out there but was being turned back no matter how hard she had tried.

Overall the book was OK, I wouldn't really shout from the rooftops that you should go out and read it. I am going to read the sequel to see if the story gets any better.


No comments:

Post a Comment