Monday 7 January 2019

REVIEW: Demelza (#2) - Winston Graham

Title: Demelza (#2)
Author: Winston Graham
Series: The Poldark Saga
Publisher: Pan Macmillan
Format: Paperback
Pages: 528 Pages
Rating: ⭐⭐

Goodreads Blurb

Demelza Carne, an impoverished miner’s daughter Ross Poldark rescued from a fairground brawl, now happily finds herself his wife. But the events of these turbulent years test their marriage and their love. As Ross launches into a bitter struggle for the right of the mining communities, Demelza’s efforts to adapt to the ways of the gentry (and her husband) place her in increasingly odd and embarrassing situations. When tragedy strikes and sows the seeds of an enduring rivalry between Ross and the powerful George Warleggan, will Demelza manage to bridge their differences before they destroy her and her husband’s chance at happiness?

Thoughts

The story starts with Ross and Demelza married, and Demelza trying to fit in as mistress of the house when she was previously a maid there. It also follows the unending rivalry between Ross and George Warleggan.

I didn't love this book as much as the first one, I found it to be very slow going (it took me a while to actually read this). I also just found this addition to the series to be entirely unmemorable, and what felt like a filler book.

I did find that the story did flow well (even though it was slow going), and the characters were all well written. My only dislike about the book was that it was just so slow (I found myself wanting to DNF it a few times, but persevered)

I love Demelza as a character, I think for the time she is portrayed as a pretty ballsy character, who rises above her station by marrying Ross (who she is actually in love with), but she is also depicted as a young girl who is also not insecure per say but she worries over Ross's affections for her, especially when Elizabeth is around.

The only reason the book managed to get 2 stars from me, it was because of Demelza, you really want Ross to be in love with her as she is such a fantastic character.


No comments:

Post a Comment