Monday 20 January 2020

REVIEW: The Cruel Prince (#1) - Holly Black

Title: The Cruel Prince (#1)
Author: Holly Black
Series: Folk of the Air
Publisher: Hot Key Books
Format: Paperback
Pages: 370 Pages
Rating: ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐

Goodreads Blurb

Jude was seven when her parents were murdered and she and her two sisters were stolen away to live in the treacherous High Court of Faerie. Ten years later, Jude wants nothing more than to belong there, despite her mortality. But many of the fey despise humans. Especially Prince Cardan, the youngest and wickedest son of the High King.

To win a place at the Court, she must defy him–and face the consequences.

As Jude becomes more deeply embroiled in palace intrigues and deceptions, she discovers her own capacity for trickery and bloodshed. But as betrayal threatens to drown the Courts of Faerie in violence, Jude will need to risk her life in a dangerous alliance to save her sisters, and Faerie itself.
 


Thoughts

This book has been so hyped it is actually scary. With the hype, it scares me as I expect great things and then I'm disappointed, so with hyped books, I wait for the hype to go down and read the book.

I picked this up as part of my NEWTs readathon, and I really don't know why I haven't picked it up sooner, I was just hooked by this book, and couldn't seem to put it down. Again this book surprised me as I really thought I would not be a fan of this trope but I just keep eating it up.

I just found myself breezing through this book, and found myself loving Jude as a character. She was written as such a strong willed character and wasn't going to take anything from anyone just because she was human and they were faerie.

I was surprised by how much I enjoyed the "relationship" between Cardan and Jude, it wasn't a releationship per say but they bat against each other and it is written so well that you want to know where it is going to go.

I have to admit I did enjoy Holly Black's writing style, I found that it flowed so well that I was just flying through the book.

I never expected the ending with the book, and that is the mark of a good book, when you can't see it coming.

Overall, one of my favourite books of the year.


No comments:

Post a Comment