Wednesday 29 January 2020

REVIEW: The Haunting - Alex Bell

Title: The Haunting
Author: Alex Bell
Series: Red Eye Series
Publisher: Stripes Publishing
Format: Paperback
Pages: 340 Pages
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Goodreads Blurb

Some curses grow stronger with time…
People say that all Cornish inns are haunted, but the Waterwitch’s history is particularly chilling. Built from the salvaged timber of a cursed ship, the guest house’s dark secrets go further back than anyone can remember.
Emma is permanently confined to a wheelchair after an accident at the Waterwitch which took place when she was ten. Seven years later, she decides to return to the place where the awful event occurred. But the ancient inn still has its ghosts, and one particular spirit is more vengeful than ever…

Thoughts

I have really enjoyed the Red Eye series, and especially the Frozen Charlotte books, so I expected big things from this book, and I wasn't disappointed.

I really enjoyed this book and I loved the relationship between Jem and Shell, he is so protective of her and I really felt for Jem as he is trying to keep Shell safe, as well as trying to keep their father away from them.

I did enjoy Emma as a character, she has been confined to a wheelchair since an incident years ago at The Waterwitch, and Jem blames himself for it. She deals with her confinement well and I thought it was written well by Bell.

I did love the back story, but I will admit that I did predict that the Waterwitch and the landowner were somewhat linked together to create the story.

Overall, a great addition to the series and one of my favourites.



No comments:

Post a Comment