Friday 24 January 2020

REVIEW: Frostheart (#1) - Jamie Littler

Title: Frostheart (#1)
Author: Jamie Littler
Series: Frostheart
Publisher: Puffin Books
Format: Paperback
Pages: 439 Pages
Rating: ⭐⭐⭐

Goodreads Blurb

Way out in the furthest part of the known world, a tiny stronghold exists all on its own, cut off from the rest of human-kin by monsters that lurk beneath the Snow Sea.

There, a little boy called Ash waits for the return of his parents, singing a forbidden lullaby to remind him of them... and doing his best to avoid his very, VERY grumpy yeti guardian, Tobu.

But life is about to get a whole lot more crazy-adventurous for Ash.

When a brave rescue attempt reveals he has amazing magical powers, he's whisked aboard the Frostheart, a sleigh packed full of daring explorers who could use his help. But can they help him find his family . . . ?


Thoughts

I read this as the group book for the Believe in the Impossible Readathon, and with Gavin giving it so much love, I expected great things.

I did like this book, but I did find it slow going, I expected that there would be some world-building as we are entering a new world and everything has to be described, but I did find that it seemed to go on quite a bit. I did spend a bit of time wondering if I would DNF the book, but I persevered, mainly because of the illustrations.

I loved the illustrations and just found them fantastic and they pushed me through the book and made me want to read more to find out what illustrations I was going to see next.

I did enjoy the characters and just found myself loving Tobu, he was such a great character, and he really did care for Ash. He was also trying to help with his song-weaving and trying to keep him safe, but I did find Ash to be quite a selfish character. I know that he was searching for his family but he didn't care about anything but finding the meaning behind the lullaby that his father had sung to him. This then would turn around and bite him in the bum later on in the book.

Overall it was a good book, and I did love some of the elements to it, will I read the sequel, yes I will because I want to see more of the illustrations,


No comments:

Post a Comment