Thursday 12 October 2017

REVIEW: The Dark Day's Club (#1) - Alison Goodman

The Dark Day's Club (#1) - Alison Goodman
Series: Lady Helen
Publisher: Walker Books
Format: Kindle
Pages: 496 Pages
Rating: ★★★★★ (It was Amazing)

Goodreads Blurb


London, April 1812. On the eve of eighteen-year-old Lady Helen Wrexhall’s presentation to the queen, one of her family’s housemaids disappears-and Helen is drawn into the shadows of Regency London. There, she meets Lord Carlston, one of the few who can stop the perpetrators: a cabal of demons infiltrating every level of society. Dare she ask for his help, when his reputation is almost as black as his lingering eyes? And will her intelligence and headstrong curiosity wind up leading them into a death trap?

Thoughts


I found the premise of this book to be very intriguing, here you have a young girl who finds out secrets regarding her mother and what she was.

I loved that Lady Helen Wrexhall was female and a main character, especially set during the Edwardian time period when women weren't that well known for having many rights. I found her to be such a strong character and a great protagonist for this series.

I really liked Lord Carlston as well, but I wanted more information regarding his wife and what had happened there, as this really wasn't expanded on that much during the book. With this you were left to create your own scenario as to why the aristocracy were saying that he murdered her.

I found myself really not liking Mr Benchley (who was Lady Helen's mother's mentor), who we found out had a hand in her mother's death.

This story was so refreshing and so different that I just couldn't put it down, and currently the sequel is out (The Dark Day's Pact), and is currently resting on my bookcase (I will get to it I promise).


No comments:

Post a Comment