Wednesday 25 October 2017

REVIEW: The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Washington Irving


The Legend of Sleepy Hollow - Washington Irving
Publisher: Perfection Learning
Format: Paperback
Pages: 61 Pages
Rating: ★★

Goodreads Blurb

Ichabod Crane, a schoolteacher, came to Tarry Town in the glen of Sleepy Hollow to ply his trade in educating young minds. He was a gullible and excitable fellow, often so terrified by locals' stories of ghosts that he would hurry through the woods on his way home, singing to keep from hysterics. Among these stories was the legend of the Galloping Hessian, the headless horseman of Sleepy Hollow.



Thoughts

I think with this book I have been spoiled by the movies, I found it to be OK but I just found it to be so slow going, and you never saw hide nor hair of the horseman until the last 20 pages of the actual story.

I wasn't the biggest fan of the characters, I found Katrina to be very flighty, Brom was just brutish, and Ichabod was just a bit

I did like that you were left wondering if the Headless Horseman was real or if it was Brom that had played a trick on Ichabod to get him out of the hamlet so he would be free to pursue Katrina. Irving lets you make your own mind up (I preferably choose that the Horseman is real).

Overall a somewhat quick read if you can persevere through 40 pages before the horseman makes an appearance.

No comments:

Post a Comment