Saturday 14 October 2017

REVIEW: Rivers of London (#1) - Ben Aaronovitch

Rivers of London (#1) - Ben Aaronovitch
Series: Peter Grant
Publisher: Orion Publishing Co
Format: Kindle
Pages: 432 Pages
Rating: ★★★★★ (It Was Amazing)

Goodreads Blurb


My name is Peter Grant and until January I was just probationary constable in that mighty army for justice known to all right-thinking people as the Metropolitan Police Service (and as the Filth to everybody else). My only concerns in life were how to avoid a transfer to the Case Progression Unit - we do paperwork so real coppers don't have to - and finding a way to climb into the panties of the outrageously perky WPC Leslie May. Then one night, in pursuance of a murder inquiry, I tried to take a witness statement from someone who was dead but disturbingly voluble, and that brought me to the attention of Inspector Nightingale, the last wizard in England.

Now I'm a Detective Constable and a trainee wizard, the first apprentice in fifty years, and my world has become somewhat more complicated: nests of vampires in Purley, negotiating a truce between the warring god and goddess of the Thames, and digging up graves in Covent Garden ... and there's something festering at the heart of the city I love, a malicious vengeful spirit that takes ordinary Londoners and twists them into grotesque mannequins to act out its drama of violence and despair.

The spirit of riot and rebellion has awakened in the city, and it's falling to me to bring order out of chaos - or die trying.

Thoughts

I found this to be such an interesting book, the premise of the book is that Peter Grant, who is a PC in the police stumbles onto something that has been hidden by the police force. He is then transferred under the tutelage of Inspector Nightingale.

This book was so intriguing and I loved the buddy relationship between Peter and Nightingale, and how Peter is thrust into this world, and tries to take it in his stride.
I also loved the friendship between Peter and Leslie, and I feel for Leslie at the finale, as she does not deserve what happens to her.

The world building with this book was so easy to follow, and just allowed me to be sucked straight into the story.

Also can I mention the cover, how beautiful is that cover, it just matches the story so well and also looks fantastic on the shelf.

Overall a really good book with some great characters, and I have read the sequel Moon Over Soho, so keep an eye out for that review.


No comments:

Post a Comment