Tuesday 14 November 2017

REVIEW: Daughter of the Burning City - Amanda Foody*

Daughter of the Burning City - Amanda Foody*

*I received this book from NetGalley for an honest review

Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Format: EBook
Pages: 384 Pages
Rating: 3/5 (liked it) ★★★

Blurb from Amazon:


Even among the many unusual members of the travelling circus that has always been her home sixteen year old Sorina stands apart as the only illusion-worker born in hundreds of years.

This rare talent allows her to create illusions that others can see, feel and touch, with personalities all of their own. Her creations are her family, and together they make up the cast of the Festival's Freak Show.

But no matter how lifelike they may seem, her illusions are still just that—illusions, and not truly real.

Or so she always believed…until one of them is murdered.

Now she must unravel the horrifying truth before all her loved ones disappear.

Thoughts:

I expected really good things from this as the book as been all over Booktube, and the premise of the story was fascinating.

I found this book to be OK but I did find it so slow going, and I really had to push myself through it, believe me I was upset about this as I really wanted to love this book

I did love the family dynamics between Sorina and the illusions, I loved Unu and Du, I thought these were great characters, and I also loved the different abilities each one of the illusions had.

I will admit that I guessed early on about Luca's heritage, but I was only part way there with what was actually going on. I hadn't fully connected all the dots by the end of the book, which I will give to it.

Overall I did like the story, it just really did not pull me in as much as I hoped it would.



No comments:

Post a Comment