Wednesday 1 November 2017

REVIEW: The New Dark (#1) - Lorraine Thomson*

The New Dark (#1) - Lorraine Thomson*
Series: The Dark Times
Publisher: Bastei Entertainment
Format: E-Book
Pages: 221 Pages
Rating: ★★★

*Received from NetGalley for an honest review*

Goodreads Blurb

There is no "Before", there is only "Now". Because now there’s no internet, no TV, no power grid. Food is scarce, and the world’s a hostile place. But Sorrel lives a quiet life in the tiny settlement of Amat. It’s all she’s ever known ...

Until a gang of marauding mutants destroys the village, snatching her brother Eli, and David, her boyfriend. Sorrel sets out after them, embarking on a journey fraught with danger. Can she survive? The only thing that keeps her going is Eli and David. They are out there somewhere. They must be alive. And if she has her way, she will find them.


Thoughts

I found this book such a quick read, and it really didn't take me long to breeze through it, I found that the writing flowed really well, especially as the story is told from two perspectives (Sorrel, and David).

I found Sorrel at the start to be a bit of a whiney character, her mother asked her to do her bit, and instead she'd rather sit around with David, and had a tantrum when her mother called her on it.

I did find that she grew within the novel after the attack on Amat, and the journey that she goes on, she comes to realise that not all mutants are the same especially when she arrives in Ulbrrom and meets Einstein.

I really did not like Mara, what an absolute witch she was, what she does to Sorrel, and then lies to David about it really made my blood boil.

I really did like this story, and I will carry on with the series, I am assuming that it is a series as the ending wasn't a cliffhanger, but it was open-ended, meaning there is more to come from Sorrel.


No comments:

Post a Comment