Thursday 2 November 2017

REVIEW: Gnomon - Nick Harkaway*

Gnomon - Nick Harkaway*
Publisher:  Cornerstone
Format: E-Book
Pages: 704 Pages
Rating: DNF

*Received from NetGalley for an honest review*

Goodreads Blurb

Gnomon, which took Harkaway more than three years to complete, is set in a world of ubiquitous surveillance. Pitched as "a mind-bending Borgesian puzzle box of identity, meaning and reality in which the solution steps sideways as you approach it", it features: a detective who finds herself investigating the very society she believes in, urged on by a suspect who may be an assassin or an ally, hunting through the dreams of a torture victim in search of the key to something she does not yet understand; a banker who is pursued by a shark that swallows Fortune 500 companies; Saint Augustine’s jilted mistress who reshapes the world with miracles; a refugee grandfather turned games designer who must remember how to walk through walls or be burned alive by fascists; and a sociopath who falls backwards through time in order to commit a murder.


Thoughts

I found the begining very confusing, I found that the writing didn't flow easily, and the narrative just seemed very disjointed.

I perservered with this for 5 days, and it really wasn't gripping me so I had to DNF it (which is very rare that I do, as I hate DNF'ing a book), but there seemed to be no story behind any of the narratives that I got up to and I only got 14% in through it and I was just lost and not captivated by this book.

I really wanted to like this book as the premise just sounded so intriguing but I just couldn't follow it.

Would I attempt this book again in the future, probably not, it just ended up giving me a headache trying to figure out what was going on with this book.


No comments:

Post a Comment