Friday 12 January 2018

REVIEW: Dark Room (#5) - Tom Becker

Dark Room (#5) - Tom Becker
Series: Red Eye
Publisher: Stripes Publishing
Format: Paperback
Pages: 400 Pages
Rating:★★★★

Goodreads Blurb

When Darla and her feckless dad, Hopper, move to Saffron Hills, Darla hopes it'll be a new start for the both of them. But she stands no chance of fitting in with the image-obsessed in-crowd at her new school. Then one of her classmates is brutally killed when taking a photo of herself. A murder Darla herself predicted in a bloody vision. When more teens die in a similar fashion it appears that a serial killer is on the loose - the 'Selfie Slayer'. Darla alone is convinced that the murderer might not be flesh and blood...

Thoughts


I was told by a member of Litsy to read this one ASAP, and I am glad I did, the opening prologue on this was absolutely chilling, how the mood swiftly changed from light and fluffy to completely dark and creepy.

This took me along the lines of the Scream movies with the same sort of plot layout. There is a serial killer running around Saffron Hills, who is terrorising a bunch of teenagers (if that doesn't shout Scream, nothing will).

Even though this had the same plot lines as Scream, the motive of the killer was completely different, they are going after beautiful people to immortalise their death in pictures.

I found that I liked the character of Darla, you could see she was sick of having to deal with her father's alcoholism and his grifting ways, and just wanted to settle down. I also enjoyed the friendship between her, Sasha, and Franklin.

I absolutely loved the twist at the end, there were two major shockers that I just didn't see coming, that were fantastic, and well thought out.

I loved the story and read it in two days, but what wasn't explained was why Darla was getting the visions of the Angel Taker, there was no definitive reason as to why she was seeing what she was seeing. That was my only peeve with the book.


No comments:

Post a Comment