Wednesday 3 January 2018

REVIEW: The Sin Eater's Daughter (#1) - Melinda Salisbury

The Sin Eater's Daughter (#1) - Melinda Salisbury
Series: The Sin Eater's Daughter
Publisher: Scholastic Children's Books
Format: Paperback
Pages: 333 Pages
Rating: ★★★

Goodreads Blurb

Sixteen-year-old Twylla lives in the castle. But although she's engaged to the prince, no one speaks to her. No one even looks at her. Because Twylla isn't a member of the court. She's the executioner. As the goddess-embodied, Twylla kills with a single touch. So each week, she's taken to the prison and forced to lay her hands on those accused of treason. No one will ever love her. Who could care for a girl with murder in her veins? Even the prince, whose royal blood supposedly makes him immune to her touch, avoids her.

But then a new guard arrives, a boy whose playful smile belies his deadly swordsmanship. And unlike the others, he's able to look past Twylla's executioner robes and see the girl, not the goddess. Yet a treasonous romance is the least of Twylla's problems. The queen has a plan to destroy her enemies-a plan that requires an unthinkable sacrifice. Will Twylla do what it takes to protect her kingdom? Or will she abandon her duty in favor of a doomed love?


Thoughts

When I started this book it was slow going (this seems to be a theme currently with books I am reading, and reviewing), but I am glad I carried on with this book as it got a lot better, as the start of the book had been based on world building. Once you got into the nitty gritty of the story it really started to get moving.

I loved Twylla as a character, all she wanted it seemed to me is a friend, whereas the majority of the guards and the servants are scared of her as her touch is fatal.

I did find myself liking the relationship between  Twylla and Lief, so when we find out Lief's true motives you really do feel for Twylla .

I found the mystery in this story to be really good and a plot twist that I never saw coming as I did not see the clues at the end (which to me is the making of a great mystery).

Overall I did like this book, even though it was slow to start with it really did redeem itself, and yes I will be reading the next in the series.


No comments:

Post a Comment